Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Parallel Arch

 

Parallel Arch, Arches National Park, 2023

I've been to Tower Arch many times, but don't remember ever seeing Parallel Arch before, even though it's in plain sight on the trail to Tower Arch.  In fact, it's right next door to Tower Arch and can be climbed into while visiting Tower Arch.

While in Arches National Park, take the Salt Valley Road (it's the first left turn after you pass the parking area for Sand Dune Arch - before you reach Devil's Garden).  It is not marked, so use your park map to be sure you don't miss the road.  It is a dirt road but it is mild, you do not need four wheel drive to make it to the Tower Arch parking lot.

Follow the Tower Arch trail and watch for Parallel Arch to come into view just before Tower Arch.  You can climb up under the arch.  This trail does have some spots that might be scary for people afraid of heights, but I made them just fine.  It is about a mile and a half long hike each way and has lots of sand - my shoes always fill with sand by the time I'm done with this hike.  But it is a great hike!  I remember how much my boys loved to see the Marching Men when they were little and we hiked to Tower Arch.

1999, my sons Cameron and Micah and the Marching Men off in the distance

underneath Parallel Arch

2023, me under Parallel Arch

I wonder if this rock fell from Parallel Arch at some point

2023, my son Teancum and his fiance Maddi with me under Parallel Arch


Underneath Parallel Arch






No comments:

Post a Comment

Chinese Arch

  Chinese Arch Chinese Arch is located in Promontory Utah, near the Golden Spike National Historic Park.  You can reach the arch without goi...