Monday, January 16, 2023

Eye of the Whale

I have only been to Eye of the Whale Arch twice, because it requires 4 wheel drive to get to it -- or a very long hike.  In December of 2022, we had our suburban with us in Moab, so we decided to go see the arch again, since we hadn't seen it since 1999.  The road definitely does require 4 wheel drive, but if you start on the road right across from Balance Rock, keep right, and drive the 4 wheel drive trail, it is not as long or as difficult as if you come in from the other side.  There is a parking pull-out for Eye of the Whale Arch, and it's just a short walk from the parking "lot" to the arch.  While you're there, don't miss the other arch in Herdina Park, Leaping Arch, which is only a short walk from Eye of the Whale.  I had read somewhere that if you go around the right side of Eye of the Whale you'll see an abandoned car there from the 50's.  Unfortunately, I forgot about it while I was at Eye of the Whale this December, or else I would have hiked around and looked for it!  I guess I'll have to go back again someday!  Once you walk to the arch it is very easy to climb up the right side and under the arch.  You can also climb through the other side of the arch down into the valley, if you feel so inclined.  I didn't do this because I am afraid of heights, so I just stayed inside the arch and enjoyed the view.

Eye of the Whale Arch


tree under Eye of the Whale arch

my husband inside Eye of the Whale Arch, December 2022

My husband, daughter-in-law Ellie, and son James inside Eye of the Whale


view from inside Eye of the Whale, the back side



from the side

from the arch, looking down on the little frozen pond in front of the arch




My son went through the arch and down the other side and is in the valley below.


Me and Ellie inside the arch


my husband walking into the arch




view behind the arch

underneath the arch


Me relaxing under the arch


My son decided to "ice skate" in the frozen lake under the arch






the frozen pond under the arch

the frozen dirt looked really cool

below the arch


hiking to the arch from our car.  The arch is visible in the background

 
My boys under Eye of the Whale Arch in 1999

My son Micah inside Eye of the Whale Arch in 1999

1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chinese Arch

  Chinese Arch Chinese Arch is located in Promontory Utah, near the Golden Spike National Historic Park.  You can reach the arch without goi...